Sunday, December 11, 2011

First Post Ever

So, this blogging thing is alien to me, but I was advised that it helps aspiring new authors to have a web presence, so here I am sharing my experiences.  The question that keeps coming to mind, or maybe coming out of my mind, is why would anyone want to read about me.  My characters, yes, I think you will want to read about them, get involved with them, be annoyed by them, love and hate them as I do, but me, I'm nothing special (and that's not me fishing for compliments).

I believe that writing is a gift, but I also know that it's a lot of hard work, and that most anyone who has the drive to keep at it can do this, can write a novel.  Maybe it's the will power that's the gift, because there have been plenty of times when I was sick to death of my characters, when I've wanted to just kick Maggie's whiny butt out and start something new, when I've wanted to just shake her and ask her why she's got so many problems and why can't she figure them out on her own.

All that turmoil is a symptom of my second belief (about writing), that writing is a form of socially acceptable schizophrenia. Maggie, Liz, Desi, and all these other people in my novel are in my head, laughing and gossiping, explaining and crying, and sometimes even making rude sexual sounds when I'm not looking.  They have become part of me, and in a lot of ways, every one of them is me.

So my goal is to get them out of my head, and into yours.

With that said, here's a quote from my beloved Homer Simpson: "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals."

No comments:

Post a Comment