Monday, January 14, 2013

Sigh...

Today, I got a reject from the last agent.  She was the first to actually provide some constructive criticism.  Her email went like this:

"Unfortunately, I just don't think I'm the right agent for this project. While I really loved the way the book opened, I was disappointed that the family curse faded into the background as the book progressed. I also just thought the pacing was rather slow and there wasn't enough tension to keep me turning the pages."

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there is a right agent for my story, because even though Donald Maass says that literary and genre should merge, there don't seem to be any agents out there right now who are interested in representing a work that merges the two. 

Counting Crows sits somewhere between being literary and romance and urban fantasy, but the agent is absolutely right.  For a genre book, it moves too slowly.  For a literary novel, it's too romancy. 

So what do I do now?  I'm not sure.  Seriously, not sure.  Sometimes I just want to give up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment