Sunday, March 11, 2012

Putting it Away for Awhile

Last night, Kathleen and I watched Woody Allen's new movie Midnight in Paris, mostly because it has Owen Wilson in it, but it turned out to be a pretty good movie about a writer wishing that he could have lived in Paris during the golden age of Hemingway and Fitzgerald. Kathy Bates, playing Gertrude Stein, has a great line:  The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence. This movie made me miss the fun part of writing, the creative part, the "I'm going to create a whole new world" part of writing.

I still have plans for getting an agent, which includes writing a shorter more catchy query letter and attending the PNWA conference.  And if I don't have an agent after the PNWA conference, I'll look to e-Publishing. 

But for now, I'm taking Dustin's advice and putting the existing story away for awhile.  I already have a few ideas percolating in my head, not that I'm going to share them.  At least not right now. 

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the rejection... I am glad you are going back to your creative side for a while. Congratulations on the tough decision.

    ReplyDelete